Tuesday, March 16, 2010

"What inspired you?"

I arrive roughly ten minutes late and gaze into the window where I find Ingrid waiting patiently inside. It's some time past 10 am and having missed the bus earlier, I had let her know I can't make the 9:30 appointment. She replies lightheartedly, saying she hasn't even left home yet. After a few days of mishap we finally are sitting before each other at the McDonald's adjacent to the morning rush dying down on Broadway by Granville. I set aside my bag and she motions to a small bag, "this is yours".
I pardon myself, I don't think I heard right. She affirms that she has bought me breakfast in a gesture to apologize for not making it in for the interview a day earlier. She also hands me a coffee, apologizing if I don't like sugar - it's a double double. I sputter, stumbling over a thank you and modestly accept the gift, an act I feel was unnecessary but succinctly her action alone sets a good impression on the type of personality Ingrid is. She is soft, quiet, gracious, altruistic, friendly, and kind-hearted.

The type of innocence and adorableness reflected in the character "Chi-Chi" in her film. In fact, from observation, I see a lot of her being and personality channeled into her film. Not so much the character but in the gentle colour palette, general audience appeal, and plot of her film. However, observation can only go so far in understanding her film. My intentions of the meeting here at McDonalds' are to get a more in depth idea of what she's making and the basis of her short film.

The name of her film, as the title of the blog suggests, is F.L.Y. - which is an abbreviation of Find a way to Learn and use Your gift, which in effect is not actually the title or a hidden one at that, but what she assures me is more of a slogan much like how a company would use a catchphrase as a slogan to their product. The film itself is supposedly three minutes long and centres on the struggles and triumph of the protagonist of the film, Chi-Chi, a little yellow bird that a mysterious hand later grants it wings it initially struggles against but learns to control.

I asked her, "what inspired you?"

She responded that she wants "to make a film everyone kinda related to ... for to watch and make everyone laugh. That's why this film is very character based."

While there are deeper observable and discovered connotations to it that will be explored later, first and foremost Ingrid would like to see a film that everyone can enjoy without having any real critical or negative lesson presented to distract the viewer. The general theme of her film is that "when the bird receives its wings, it becomes a burden..."
As in, once given the ability to fly free away from being grounded (parental life perhaps would be one semiotic observation), it's confusing and even heavy trying to deal with all the new responsibilities and weight placed on you once you gain your freedom (or in Chi-Chi's case, her wings) but eventually you do learn to get a handle on how to control and enjoy the freedom, allowing you to mature and in essence find you have much more choices and potential for joy in life than you had available before, allowing you to fully pursue your dreams (Chi-Chi: butterflies).

No comments:

Post a Comment